Make Lobster Claw-some Felt Flowers!
Named for Mount Helicon in Greece, the heliconia flower is both alluring and unique. Also known as the “Lobster-claw” flower, heliconias look great on their own or as part of a felt bouquet! The cool thing is that our felt heliconia is super simple and quick to craft.
Just gather the tools and materials, then download the PDF or SVG pattern. Once you have it all, follow the steps below in the photo tutorial or download the instructions.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Click here for more information.
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Pastel Sponge
- Wire Cutters
Felt on the Fly – “Yellow” and “Spring Green”
PanPastel – “Hansa Yellow Shade”
18-gauge Stem Wire
Krylon Matte Finish Spray
- If you haven’t already, become a Lia Griffith Annual Member. This gives you access to unlimited SVG downloads!
- Gather tools and materials.
- Cut out felt according to the pattern.
- Fold a small petal in half and glue around the end of a length of floral wire.
- Then, fold the other 2 small petals and glue around the first, alternating sides.
- Fold the big petals and glue them on the same way as the smaller ones, making them stick out more horizontally. You can use an iron to get sharper creases.
- After gluing on all the petals, fold and glue on the leaf.
- Color the tips and spines of the petals with a green PanPastel, blending inward.
- Spray the finished heliconia with a matte fixative spray.
Make All the Flowers!
We are here to help you explore your creativity with daily inspiration, downloadable cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower us. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with the LGM community by using #MadeWithLia — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY project tutorials complete with pattern downloads and instructions. Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy crafting! ~ Lia and Team