Have I got a gift for you! If you told me a few months ago I could make grain-free roll-out or cut out cookies, I would have rolled my eyes instead. A cookie that holds together without gluten or grain and competes with the beloved roll-out sugar cookie? You, like me, may be skeptical. When I put the final touches on this recipe, I was so excited I could barely wait to share it with you.
The kids and I had fun mixing, rolling, slicing and baking this weekend. We drizzled some with chocolate, dunked a few, and left some plain. You can mix in nuts, dried fruit, or small chocolate chunks to make different versions of this versatile cookie. You can roll it up, chill it, and slice as needed, or shape it into a disk, roll it out, and cut with cookie cutters. I never thought it would be possible!
P.S. If you’re planning a holiday party, I’ve got you covered. I just posted my Holiday Party Menus, complete with prep tips and shopping list, over at the Deliciously Organic store. And my cookbook is just $25! Another great Christmas gift!
For the dough:
- 2 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 cup organic maple sugar or whole cane sugar or sucanat
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (I prefer Bernard Jensen )
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold, cut into tablespoons
- Place almond meal, coconut flour, whole cane sugar, gelatin, arrowroot and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 2-3 times to combine. Add butter and process until dough forms a ball.
For roll-out cookies:
- Form dough into a 9-inch flat disk. Wrap tightly (I like to use a layer of parchment paper and then plastic wrap). Refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and adjust rack to middle position. Dust a large surface with a bit of arrowroot and roll out to 1/4-inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters and transfer cookies to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until just turning golden brown on the edges. Cool completely before serving.
For slice-and-bake cookies:
- Form dough into a 12″ log and wrap tightly (I like to use a layer of parchment paper and then plastic wrap). Refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and adjust rack to middle position. Slice dough into 1/4″ thick slices and place each cookie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until just golden brown on the edges. Cool completely before serving. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.